Tiffany is a digital strategist, trainer and international speaker, advising government and industry on greater digital competency. She aligns corporate objectives, people skills and evolving technology to embed practical digital strategy for impactful change and growth.
She is the former Head of Public Participation for the UK Government, advising the government on how to get better at engaging with the public online. The first of its kind, the role encompassed building digital capability in the civil service as the UK Government strategic lead on all social media training, tools, skills and capability as well as how to involve the public in policy curation on and offline.
She developed, the digital training strategy for Government. She designed and delivered the only social media audit of department’s digital assets and capabilities for the new administration and piloted leadership seminars for behavioural change towards digital adoption. Tiffany created the first social media guidance during a general election for all civil servants and installed bespoke social media monitoring dashboards in every government ministerial office for day one of the new administration. She launched data.gov.uk the UK Government’s data repository and the largest in the world, working with Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of the Web, and Professor Nigel Shadbolt, Head of Artificial Intelligence in the UK. In previous public sector roles Tiffany was the first Director of Communications for Directgov the UK Government’s online citizen-facing service setting up the functions for cross-government and government to public communications from pre-launch to the first 3 years, running the world’s largest web rationalisation programme and advising international governments how to do so. She designed and delivered 4 national public consultations programmes face-to-face and digital delivery resulting in government policy changes, most notably: IPSA’s MPs Expenses Consultation; National Pensions Debate and Dame Carol Black’s state of the UK workplace.
Outside of the public sector Tiffany is the digital strategy consultant to: The Guardian, Microsoft, Channel 4, The Post Office and TalkTalk.
Tiffany, through the agency she founded 10 years ago, embeds social media in organisations or creates revenue for clients through social media products and services.
She devises social media monitoring and outreach facilities as a managed service for clients and undertakes live social amplification of events.
- Business and communications strategy
- Design and embedding of social media strategy in organisations
- Commercialisation of digital products, tools and services
- Respected digital authority with a world class digital peer network
- Course curation and delivery of digital and social media training programmes
- International digital trainer and speaker
- Board -level influence
Advisory positions and volunteer network
- Executive Director to BIMA (British Interactive Media Association) inspiring and supporting digital talent
- Strategy Board for Rewired State events, agile prototype development and Coding for Kids Lobbyist
- Fellow of the British-American Project, Leaders under 40, cross cultural understanding US and UK, fundraising, speaker and organisation of national conference
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
Public speaking platforms Jun 2010 – present
- Speaker: Listening and Insight, Google, #Squared2012 22 March 2012, London
- Listening Labs, DigitalLon 13-14 March, London
- Speaker: Productising Social Media, LikeMindsU, 06 March 2012, Exeter
- Speaker: Embedding social media in your business, The Guardian, 26 January 2012, London
- Keynote: Gartner IT and Data Summit, 28-29 Nov 2011. London
- Event Curator and Host: Technology for the Event Industry, LondonLaunch, 19-20 Oct 2011, London
- Keynote speaker: Blog Open, 8-9 Oct 2011, SerbiA
- Speaker: Ladies at 11 Conference, 9 Sept 2011, Sandown Racecourse. Esher
- Speaker: Marketing Agencies Association, Advanced Twitter, 10 August. London
- Event Curator and Chair: Safeguarding your digital reputation, The Guardian, 12 July 2011, London
- Event Curator and Chair: How digital innovation is changing media viewing, Channel 4, 29 June 2011, London
- Event Chair: 3rd Annual Digital Media Summit, 8-9 June 2011, Barcelona
- Speaker: In Conversation with Tiffany St James, Channel 4, 4 May 2011, London,
- Speaker: Social Media and Recruitment, The Future of Recruitment, 09 Feb 2011, Barcelona
- Speaker: Digital Trend Spotting, Channel 4 as part of Social Media Week, 07 Feb 2011
- Speaker: How to build online communities, Lift11, Geneva, Switzerland, 04 Feb 2011
- Speaker: Enterprising use of social media Global Entrepreneurship Week, Channel4, 16 Nov 2010, London
- Speaker: The Power of Infographics, Government Digital Teacamp, 04 Nov 2010
- Speaker: Social effects of technology Like Minds biannual, 28-29 Oct 2010, Exeter
- Speaker: Open Data, Mobile Apps World Mobile Apps World, 19-20 Oct 2010
- Speaker: Social effect of technology Council of United States and Italy, 14-16 Oct 2010, Genoa
- Anchor and Facilitator: Edinburgh International Marketing Festival, Post Digital Decade 24 Aug 2010
- Speaker: Excellence in Digital Communications, Marketing Agencies Association 09 Jul 2010
- Speaker: She Says , Scamp event, The Power of Open Data, Women in Creative and Digital, 01 Jul 2010
- Workshop on Social Media: Excellence in Internal Communications, 24 Jun 2010, Barcelona
“HMG has just lost a brilliant consultant in @tiffanystjames and their digital agenda will be poorer for it.” Tom Watson MP on Friday 11 June 2010 via Twitter Parliamentary Secretary and Digital Minister 2009
Tiffany’s client list includes: Cabinet Office, Channel 4, Central Office of Information, Government Communications Network, EURO RSCG, The Guardian, Marketing Agencies Association, Microsoft, Panasonic, TalkTalk, Sony and Vodafone.